UPDATE FOR ALL STAKEHOLDERS OF LEITH ACADEMY
The announcement last night from the Prime Minister and First Minister naturally is triggering conferences and meetings as we adjust to the situational developments.
I have tried to take the significant amounts of information coming in at present and provide you with what may be useful to us as Parents of youngsters. Points below;
Guide For Parents
A guide for Parents has been created / provided by Edinburgh Council. We will place it statically on our website under the PARENT INFO/COUNCIL section. It is not exhaustive as it applies to all educational settings. It is to reflect to you what Education is trying it’s best to do in order to support learning at home over the coming period of time.
Online Learning support
Teachers have been setting up ‘Microsoft Teams’ for many classes, so your child, if possible, should login (watch this tutorial from Mr Marks on how to do so if they are unsure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mDlVfYaFdw&feature=youtu.be). Once logged in pupils can check if there are any ‘Microsoft Teams’ they have been added to. In order to login they need to have either downloaded the Microsoft Teams app from the app store (on a phone, tablet, computer or laptop) or go to http://office365.edin.org on a web browser. Microsoft Teams can allow pupils to, for example, speak with their teacher, keep up to date with information for that subject area and complete the work being issued.
Though is a positive tech feature, the message applies of keeping this activity proportionate for all. Getting a balance with family time and ‘down time’ along with school work is important.
Scottish Qualifications Authority SQA
The SQA have updated their statement on next steps. It is available on their website https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/93658.html . There is further detail to come and I will signpost you to this when it is clearer.
Supporting Key Workers
Meetings are ongoing around what support will look like and how it will be actioned across the City in light of the new measures we are all obliged to follow. I will keep you updated as these develop.
UCAS – Applications for University
For some this will be an area of interest. I have included a statement extract below though this position may change as the situation does. The UCAS website will have latest news. Extract below;
“…….Most undergraduate applicants are already in the UCAS system. There are currently nearly 600,000 undergraduate applicants, many are UK 18 year olds. The majority of these applicants will be holding an offer and have pending qualifications, such as A levels or Highers.
We continue to operate the admissions process as normal – we are continuing to support customers via our Customer Experience Centre and will continue to keep students informed of the latest developments via our established communication channels. For our customers, we are publishing the latest updates online in three main places:
- for students, also linked to from the homepage of UCAS.com
- for advisers in the relevant area of ucas.com
- and for universities and colleges, in an open-access area of the providers section of our site.
However, with the cancellation of examinations across the UK, we recognise that the way in which students are accepted to higher education this year will be different to previous years. We are working extensively with the relevant government departments….to ensure that there is shared information and understanding as the situation developments……”
Jobs to support
‘The Edinburgh Guarantee’ aims to provide every School leaver with an opportunity to work or learn. They got in touch today with some reactive positions that have emerged in light of the pandemic. There will be specifics related to each post, contact points are noted for each if interested. See note below sent to Schools;
As a result of the effects of Coronavirus, there is an increase in job vacancies for supermarket and warehouse workers and call centre staff to start immediately. The job advert is also available on our Jobs Board and will be updated with new vacancies as they become available. Please share as widely as possible.
Contract: All types of temporary contracts available immediately
Salary: Dependent on employer
Employer: Various employers across Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Iceland – www.icelandcareers.co.uk
- Co-op/Scotmid – visit your nearest store
- Morrisons – https://www.morrisons.jobs/ or visit your nearest store
- Asda – visit your nearest store with your passport and your National Insurance number
- Tesco – https://www.tesco-careers.com/
- Sainsbury’s – Apply here
- B&M – visit your nearest store
- Aldi – check out their vacancies here
- Lidl – Edinburgh and West Lothian. Apply here
- Sainsbury’s Bank – Customer Service Advisors – Applications for Edinburgh Gyle here. Applications for West Lothian at http://bit.ly/2xB3gwd
- Production Warehouse Workers – The company is based just of the M8 – due to the location and shift patterns it is essential you can drive. Email your details to Nico.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recruitment agency, Cordant People, are recruiting immediate starts in Food Production, Stock Replenishment and Cleaning in Edinburgh, Livingston and Dunfermline. Call 0131 285 0550.
I will keep you updated as information develops.